The John Howard Society of Manitoba supports men in conflict with the law- before, during and after incarceration.
We are one of a very few number of organizations that provide support and guidance to men so they will not re-offend once they return to the community and the same stresses that contributed to them committing crime in the first place.
Our programs and services help address the root causes of crime, build healthy families and safer communities.
In the process of making positive life changes, these men are having a positive impact in their families and communities.
- One-to-one literacy training inside the Winnipeg Remand Centre
- Peer tutor training inside Headingly Correctional Centre
- Courses in anger management, substance abuse, and addictions (all free and part of our reintegration programming)
- Birth certificates (men inside prison apply through our agency)
- Healing program for Indigenous men who are victims of childhood sexual abuse
- Sharing circle led by an Elder
- Clothes for men upon release (all free)
- Free community clothes closet Tuesday and Thursday afternoons
- Federally funded, 26-bed halfway house
Sponsors and Funders
We thank all our supporters for their support, encouragement and generosity.
- United Way of Winnipeg
- The Winnipeg Foundation
- Assiniboine Credit Union
- PGI Canada
- Me-Dian Credit Union
- Canadian Footwear
- Canad Inns Destination Centre
- Fernwood Publishing
- Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra
- Boyd Autobody & Glass
- VIA Rail
- Winnipeg Free Press
Thanks for core support from:
The Government of Canada
- Department of Justice Canada
- Employment and Social Development Canada (via John Howard Society of Canada)
- Correctional Service Canada
- Canada Border Services Agency
Province of Manitoba
- Department of Justice
- Manitoba Department of Education and Training – Adult Literacy and Learning